Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mother's Day

Ode to Mother's day - From a pathetic son

Few more hours and Mother's Day will come to an end.
Of all the arguements from critics that 365 days a year is Mother's Day which I do acknowledge ( caz we make her work for us everyday ) , still I feel having a well marked date on the Calender is important.
      Specially for those unlucky souls like me who doesn't have the opportunity to be with her everyday ( though my parents visit me often ) coupled with our busy life.
     Atleast you can set reminder on your mobile and call her to wish Happy Mother's Day.
     Reading Tagore's poem
    '
       মাকে আমার পড়ে না মনে।
শুধু কখন খেলতে গিয়ে
হঠাৎ অকারণে
একটা কী সুর গুনগুনিয়ে
কানে আমার বাজে,
মায়ের কথা মিলায় যেন
আমার খেলার মাঝে। '

As I look back into my  childhood , I see how vast a space she occupies and how much I learnt from her.
    Of all the sweetest memories I had of her and my childhood clasped together  , I do remember summer afternoons when she read stories to my sister and me.Her tired voice having a tinge of sleepiness , long pauses between paragraphs with her eyes closed , and then again going back to read the story to us.
Imagine a mother who had been like Dasabhuja ( Maa Durga with her ten hands ) from the dawn , completing all household chores and then during her little afternoon nap she read us stories.
  Perhaps it was only due to her that I was attracted to books from such an early age.
    I still remember our home in a small town where my father was posted was kind of a mini-library.
     By class 5 ,I had started reading Tagore , Maxim Gorky , O Henry , Naipaul , Dickens , HG Wells and many others.
It was such a wonderful world !
    Of all the ocean of things which I learnt from from her , below few were vital :

1) Help others no matter who he or she is .
2) All jobs have equal importance in its own glory , from a cobbler to an officer.
3) Read books as much as you can , all kind , fiction, non-fiction , autobiographies .
4) It's ok to fail in life . Life doesn't stop with a failure.
5) Be happy with whatever you have.You are lucky than many others.
6) Love God for all that you got in life.

I think of whatever I could make of myself till date , it's 99% her teachings and prayers coupled with God's blessings , and 1% I do keep for mine effort.
    As I go back to my childhood I felt of all the friends I had , books had been my best friend.Tagore was an Ocean , His poems transforming your mundane life. It was interesting to know that Nobel prize winning writer VS Naipaul doubled her wife as his secretary in disguise.And of so many amazing things.
   I can keep on writing as words flows in , but somewhere I have to draw a line.
    I can only pray that God give her strenth to fight all illness and she stays as beautiful as she had always been for the next 100 years and more.
      And that she does forgive her pathetic son for all his weakness.
 
Happy Mother's Day , Maa .

#MothersDay.

No comments:

Followers